Home > Help > Energy Efficiency Measures

Energy Efficiency Measures

The program may provide a combination of the following, all at no charge:

 

Air Sealing

Even small air leaks can defeat an otherwise well insulated home.

Eliminating drafts increases the comfort of your home while saving energy.

 

Band Joist Insulation

The band joist area of a home is a common weak spot in home construction for insulation and air sealing.

The effects of an un-insulated band joist, on average, equals a totally open exterior 8’ x 15’ wall.

 

Furnace Operation & Maintenance Tune-up

Approximately 30% of your home’s energy use goes to heating systems. New energy efficient heating systems can significantly reduce the amount of energy used when heating your home.

If your furnace is more than 10 years old and not keeping your home comfortable, replacing it with an energy efficient model will increase comfort and save money.

Furnace efficiency is measured by annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE). AFUE is a measure of how much of the fuel consumed by your furnace is delivered as heat. For example, a 94% AFUE means that 94% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home and the other 6% escapes via the chimney and elsewhere.

 

Faucet Aerators

Faucet aerators in your kitchen or bathroom use approximately 30 percent less water. You’ll also use less energy to heat water.

Faucet aerators are inexpensive and effective measures designed to save approximately one gallon of water per person per day when installed properly.

For maximum savings, purchase aerators with flow rates no greater than 1.5 gallons per minute (gpm).

Hot water leaking at a rate of one drip per second can waste up to 1,660 gallons of water over the course of a year and up to $35 in electricity or natural gas. Fixing drips is a cost-effective, easy way to save energy.

 

High-efficiency Shower Head

A new high-efficiency shower head will use about 40 percent less water – 1.5 gallons per minute (gpm) instead of 2.5 gpm – and you’ll use less energy to heat every shower!

A new high-efficiency shower head can save you up to $145 each year on your energy bill.

Depending on the model of high efficiency shower head installed, you can save up to four gallons of water per person per day.

A 10-minute shower can use less water than a full bath.

The newest high efficiency shower heads maintain high water pressure by pushing water through smaller apertures and mixing in air.

 

Pipe Wrap

Pipe wrapping installed on your water heater helps eliminate condensation, and is maintenance-free and environmentally friendly.

Insulate hot water piping to keep your hot water from cooling before it gets to the faucet.

Insulating your hot water pipes can reduce heat loss and increase water temperatures by two to four degrees when compared to non-insulated pipes. You can set your water heater back by a few degrees and save more energy.

Properly wrapped pipes will reduce the amount of time and water needed to deliver hot water.

 

Energy-efficient light bulbs

Energy-efficient light bulbs use 70 to 90 percent less energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. They also save between $30 - $80 during their life span.

 

To get started, call 877-448-9433 or schedule your free appointment online.